Focusing on what you gain
The discomfort of resisting drinking can sometimes be hard. You have to ride the discomfort and know it won’t kill you. Focusing on your gains, however small, can help. Member Joanna started a thread on just this topic. Here are her and Diane’s contributions.
Things I love about not drinking
I wrote a list of all the things that I love about not drinking since I give it up 171 days ago. I wanted to share on here to hopefully help anyone who is struggling.
- Not having to cancel plans due to hangover.
- More lovely evening time with kids not trying to get them to bed so I can start on the wine.
- Waking up early and enjoying it!
- No more waking up needed water as if I have been on a desert island for a week.
- Just enjoying being alive and the outdoors.
- Better skin and brighter eyes.
- Better diet.
- More confidence.
- No embarrassing regretful moments.
- No stupid disagreements with partner.
- Reading lots of books.
- Finding real friends.
- Enjoying food.
- More positive outlook.
- Discovering a lot more about myself.
- Becoming a stronger person by dealing with life in ‘HD’ !
I have been trying to think of any good things about drinking but the only thing I could think of was missing the feeling of just escaping from everything, but we can all find this in another more positive way.
A to Z of joy from not drinking
Other members were not to be outdone – Diane shared her A to Z of joy from not drinking.
Pain…..real not masked
Yesterday !!! (Remembering it)
Zzzzzzzz good sleep