How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality
Already enrolled? Log in here.
Cutting down on your drinking when you work professionally with alcohol can be a challenge. But becoming a mindful drinker could actually be the key to thriving in your job, and building a sustainable and productive career in the drinks industry. In Club Soda, we work closely with the industry and we understand how to make change work for you. And we can show you how.
If you’re rethinking your personal relationship with alcohol, How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality give you all the inspiration and support you need.
Change your drinking, your way
How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality is the best of everything Club Soda knows about how to change your drinking. It’s an in-depth course packed with the information, tools and support you need to help you change your drinking, your way
- Week 1 of How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality introduces the essentials of mindful drinking, including the daily and weekly tracking tools that will help you pay attention to your drinking
- Week 2 dives deeper, exploring the patterns of your thinking and your motivations for change
- Week 3 is a chance to step back, so you can consider the kind of life you want to live, including how to decide whether moderating or going alcohol-free will work for you
- Week 4 deals with the practicalities of planning, progress tracking and problem-solving
- And the final few days prepare you for life beyond How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality, so you’re ready to put your mindful drinking plans into action.
Each week has bonus material, including the stories of other people in your industry who’ve become mindful drinkers, and exclusive downloadable booklets summarising everything you’ve learned. We’ve also included some ideas about how to support your wellbeing. Plus there are some challenges too, preparing you to practise your mindful drinking skills in the real world. Plus, we’ll introduce you to a community of people like you who are changing their drinking, so you can get the inspiration and support you need.
In Club Soda, you’re the best judge of what works for you and we’ll never tell you how to change. So whether you want to cut down, stop for a bit or quit, How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality will help you change your drinking, your way.
Get this Drink Mindfully in Hospitality course for free
Thanks to Club Soda’s partnership with The Drinks Trust Wellness Services, this course is free for anyone in the UK who works or has worked in hospitality or the drinks industry.
Learn How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality
For just £40 (or free with support from The Drinks Trust), you’ll get:
- 31 days of thought-provoking and in-depth online learning, personal reflections and practical exercises to build your skills and confidence to change your drinking
- Exclusive bonus videos each week featuring conversations with Laura Willoughby (Club Soda founder) and Dru Jaeger (author of How to Be a Mindful Drinker) exploring the course materials in more depth
- Four downloadable booklets packed with practical advice to help you pay attention, understand yourself, live with intention and make plans for change
- An online mindful drinking diary so you can pay attention to your drinking, triggers and cravings, make plans to change your drinking and track your happiness day-by-day
- A weekly self-guided check-in so you can review your intentions, building your confidence and commitment and see the impact of changing your drinking on your sleep, energy, emotions, relationships and more
- Challenges to practise your mindful drinking skills in the real world and the chance to share your experiences with others
- Connection with other mindful drinkers and members of the Club Soda team through our private Club Soda Slack, including secure private messaging mobile app so you can keep in touch wherever you are
- Regular group video chats so you can share your progress, ask questions and get the support you need.
The small(ish) print
Is there any reason I shouldn’t do the course?
You must not stop drinking suddenly if you think you are physically dependent on alcohol. If you think you might be dependent on alcohol, you should speak to your doctor.
How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality doesn’t require you to change your drinking suddenly, so you could follow the course alongside cutting down your drinking gradually. But How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality is not a substitute for medical advice. If you are concerned that you might be physically dependent on alcohol, talk to your doctor. And if you experience alcohol withdrawal symptoms at any point during the course, you must seek medical help.
When will my course start?
You can join How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality at any time. Once your order has been processed, you will be automatically enrolled in the course. And once you’re enrolled, you can find your course right here, on this page. We’ll also email you a receipt and a welcome message so you’ll know you’re signed up.
If you can’t log in or you don’t receive any emails from us, please check your spam folder first. And if you still can’t find the email, please get in touch and we’ll look into it.
How does the course work?
All the course materials for How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality are hosted on a secure and private part of our website. The course is divided into 31 days, plus bonus material, and a new day is released for you every 24 hours. You’ll find your mindful drinking diary, weekly self-guided check-in, downloads and videos in the course materials.
What about emails?
You’ll receive a little reminder email each day to let you know that new course material is available for you. To get these emails, you need to be subscribed to our regular email newsletter – we use the same system to send them. You can subscribe when you buy the course or sign up to the email newsletter here.
How do I join the Club Soda Slack?
You’ll find a link to join our private Club Soda Slack once you’ve logged in and begun the course. Joining Slack is simple and easy, and we’ve included comprehensive instructions in the course. If you have any difficulties getting into Slack, do get in touch.
Who’s behind the course?
The short answer? The Club Soda community.
The longer answer? How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality has been developed by Dru Jaeger, one of the co-founders of Club Soda and the lead author of How to Be a Mindful Drinker. Dru is a writer, researcher, facilitator and coach with more than a decade of experience in healthcare policy – and he’s a mindful drinker who drinks little and occasionally. But the course isn’t his work alone. It includes contributions from other members of the Club Soda team, including Laura Willoughby, Club Soda’s founder, and Anja Madhvani, who writes for Club Soda and who also works in the industry. And most importantly, it draws on our research into the experiences of the many Club Soda members who become mindful drinkers. You’ll find their encouraging quotes throughout the course, as well as some of their stories of how they changed their drinking.
Is this course about meditation?
How to Drink Mindfully in Hospitality draws on many of the core ideas of mindfulness, encouraging you to pay attention to yourself and the world around you, to treat yourself with kindness and to take a more conscious and deliberate approach to living. So this course is fundamentally about helping you increase your awareness of your relationship with alcohol. But it’s not a meditation course.
You might want to take up a formal meditation practice alongside the course, but there’s no requirement to do so. Mindfulness meditation can be a useful tool to deepen your awareness, and it has been shown to support long-term recovery and wellbeing. If you want to explore mindfulness practices in more depth, you can join our weekly Breathing Space online meditation and discussion group. Look out for invitations to the Breathing Space once you’ve joined the course.
While we make every effort to run our programmes as advertised, we reserve the right to change course content, dates, trainers and moderators if necessary. We also reserve the right to suspend any member who does not keep to our Club rules and terms and conditions.