When it comes to seasonal drinks, nothing feels more Christmassy than a mulled wine.
The traditional drink has been around since the 2nd century and has come to represent the Christmas spirit. Mulled wine is easy to make alcohol-free because its use of spices and citrus means lots of its great flavour does not come from alcohol.
We asked our friends at NINE ELMS how they make their ‘Mulled Nine’ – an innovative non-alcoholic version of this quintessential winter drink.
A piping hot glass will definitely take the chill out of wintery December nights, not least thanks to its spicy chilli kick.
- 1 bottle Nine Elms No.18
- 5ml Gimber
- 1 whole dried chipotle, ancho or mulato chilli
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 whole star anise
- 7 whole dried allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 30-60g (to taste) light brown sugar
- A large orange twist
- Make an incision in the chilli so that its smoky heat can mingle with the liquid
- Add all ingredients, including the chilli, to a heavy bottom pot
- Gently bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the simmer
- Keep at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes or so
- Ladle into heat proof glasses
- Garnish with another orange twist
- The chilli can be removed early to reduce the intensity of its heat
Intricately crafted with the juice of 4 types of dark berry and 20 different botanicals, NINE ELMS No.18 provides a uniquely sophisticated & delicious non-alcoholic accompaniment to whatever you’re eating.
It pairs just as well with sweet treats as it does with savoury! Served alongside endless buttery mince pies, thick slices of rich, chocolatey Yule log or a bountiful cheeseboard, an elegant glass of NINE ELMS No.18 is a wonderful match.