Making the most of the Club Soda community
If you want to cut down or stop drinking, there’s a place for you in the Club Soda community.
We have a big Facebook group, Club Soda Together, that brings together people at every stage of changing their drinking. And if you sign up to any of our courses, you are invited to smaller groups on Facebook and elsewhere so you can get the support you need.
Unlike many other online support communities that focus on alcohol, Club Soda doesn’t believe that sobriety is the only answer. Moderation can work too. What’s most important is to discover what works for you. But that creates challenges in a community where some people are going alcohol-free and some are still drinking. How can we support each other, when we disagree about the right thing to do?
In this live video, Club Soda co-founder Dru Jaeger talks about how the make the most of the community and resources Club Soda has to offer, as well as offering some practical tips on getting the best out of our groups on Facebook.
How to make the most of the Club Soda community
In this video, Dru talks about
- Club Soda’s courses and how to choose the approach that’s right for you (2:00)
- the challenge of being in a group with people who are moderating and alcohol-free (3:15)
- the story of Club Soda and our groups on Facebook (6:20)
- the evidence that there’s no one way to change your drinking (8:15)
- how people’s choices and perspectives change over time (10:08)
- despite our different choices, we share a lot in common and can learn from each other (11:41)
- reintroducing alcohol after taking a break (13:30)
Dru also discusses some practicalities about being in Club Soda’s group on Facebook
- that we don’t glamourise drinking or we don’t shame people for getting drunk (17:42)
- how to hide or snooze people and groups (19:01)
- the importance of reporting posts if you are concerned about people (20:40)
- some of the ways in which other people’s posts can be triggering (21:55)
- how to respond positively to others (24:45)
- that no one course, coach or community is ever going to be perfect (27:05)
- and summing up: the importance being honest, brave and kind to yourselves and each other (28:35)
Your questions answered
Ask Dru Live is on the second Sunday of the month. Join us on Facebook or YouTube to get your questions answered about every aspect of changing your drinking.